September 10, 2022 • Fresno, Calif. • Valley Children’s Stadium • 7:30 p.m. PT • CBS Sports Network
Television: CBS Sports Network
Play-By-Play: Alex Del Barrio
Analyst: Donte Whitner
Radio: Beaver Sports Network, Varsity Network (Oregon State)
Play-By-Play: Mike Parker
Analyst: Jim Wilson
Sideline: Ron Callan
Pre-Game: Steve Preece
SiriusXM Radio: 137 or 203
SiriusXM App/Internet: 966
Live Stats: OSUBeavers.com
Xfinity Comcast: 734
Dish Network: 158
Charter Spectrum: 410
– Oregon State hits the road for the first time in 2022 when the Beavers visit Fresno State Saturday night at Valley Children’s Stadium. Kickoff is slated for 7:30 p.m. PT.
– The game will air live on CBS Sports Network. Alex Del Barrio (play-by-play) and Donte Whitner (analyst) will call the action.
– Fresno State leads the all-time series, 8-5, including a 6-0 mark in games played in Fresno. The teams are meeting for the first time since the 2003 season.
– The game will air live on the Beaver Sports Radio Network. For a list of affiliates, turn to page two of these notes.
– Every game this season can be heard live on the Varsity Network, a free application available via computer browsers, smartphones and tablets. After downloading the application, search for Oregon State.
Oregon State Notables
– Oregon State is coming off a 34-17 win over Boise State last Saturday to open the 2022 season. It marked the Beavers’ first season-opening win since defeating Weber State to open 2015.
– The Beavers grabbed five takeaways in the win, tying for the most during Jonathan Smith‘s tenure as head coach. It was the sixth time during his tenure the Beavers captured three or more.
– Oregon State improved to 14-7 under Smith when scoring 30 or more points. OSU also improved to 13-1 when taking a lead into the fourth quarter.
– OSU won its seventh consecutive home game.
– Fresno State won the last matchup between the teams, 16-14, in 2003 in Fresno. Brett Visintainer connected on a 47-yard field goal with 31 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter to give the Bulldogs the win.
– Steven Jackson and Mike Hass both scored touchdowns for the Beavers. Jackson ran for 128 yards and also caught five passes for 116 yards.
Against Fresno State
– Oregon State and Fresno State have met 13 times previously. The teams will be playing the seventh matchup all-time in Fresno; the Bulldogs have won the previous six.
– Fresno State leads the all-time series, 8-5, as OSU is 5-2 in games played in Corvallis.
– OSU has had a 100-yard rusher in five of those 13 games, including Steven Jackson twice (227 in 2002 and 128 in 2003). Mark Olford and Chad Paulsen each ran for 100-plus in the Beavers’ 1992 46-36 win in Corvallis. It’s one of 19 times in school history the Beavers have had two or more 100-yard performances in the same game.
– Head coach Jonathan Smith passed for 303 yards in Oregon State’s 46-23 win in Corvallis in 1999. It’s the only 300-yard performance by an OSU quarterback in series history.
News, Notes And More
– Twitter.com/BeaverFootball is still the program’s main Twitter handle, but the Twitter.com/BeaverFBNews account was created prior to the 2019 season.
– Follow @BeaverFBNews for news, pre-game and in-game notes and more. The handle will post in-game news and scoring information as it happens.
Looking Back At The Opening W
– Oregon State controlled the clock for 35:02 in Saturday’s win, the second-longest during HC Jonathan Smith‘s tenure. OSU is 10-4 under Smith when totaling 32 or more minutes per game.
– Oregon State recorded eight tackles for loss and two sacks. The Beavers’ offensive line, meanwhile, did not allow a sack, one of 28 teams nationally to make that claim thus far this season.
– Boise State’s 311 total yards marked the fifth-lowest by an opponent against OSU since 2018. OSU is 7-0 since ’18 when allowing 350 or fewer yards.
– Chance Nolan found Anthony Gould for a 74-yard reception; it is one of just eight passes of 70 or more yards nationally this season.
– OSU averaged 19.47 yards per pass completion, the team’s best single-game mark since the 2006 season.
– Nolan averaged 17.93 yards per completion, the 18th-best mark by an OSU QB since 1996. Fourteen of the 17 better averages have been by either Jonathan Smith or Derek Anderson. Matt Moore, Cody Vaz and Jake Luton account for the other three.
– Luke Musgrave set a career-best with 89 receiving yards, surpassing 85 against Oregon during the 2021 season. The 89 yards marked the most by an OSU tight end since Noah Togiai totaled 95 versus Portland State in 2017.
Mountain West Times Three
– Oregon State’s matchup with Fresno State Saturday marks the third straight for the Beavers versus a Mountain West Conference foe.
– OSU ended the 2021 season against Utah State in the Jimmy Kimmel Los Angeles Bowl, and opened 2022 against Boise State last Saturday.
– Oregon State is 39-27 all-time against members of the Mountain West.
– The Beavers are looking for their first win at a MWC foe since defeating Hawai’i, 38-30, in 2014.
– Oregon State’s five takeaways against Boise State marked the 20th time since 1996 that the Beavers’ defense recorded five or more in a game. The most over that stretch was eight against Washington State in 2007.
– The Beavers are 16-4 when recording five or more takeaways. OSU committed at least three turnovers itself in three of the four losses.
– OSU grabbed three INTs against BSU; the 34th time with at least three since ’96. The Beavers are 28-6 when that happens.
More On Musgrave
– Luke Musgrave’s six catches Saturday were one shy of his career-high of seven set last season versus Oregon.
– The junior has 16 receptions over his last three games after totaling 26 in his first 16. He’s averaged 13.6 yards per catch over those 16 receptions.
Turnovers, Part Two
– Oregon State’s defense has picked up eight turnovers in the last two games; three versus Utah State to end the 2021 season before recording five versus the Broncos.
– OSU’s defense has 12 takeaways in five games during Trent Bray‘s tenure as defensive coordinator. The Beavers are tied for eighth nationally over that stretch.
– OSU’s offense, meanwhile, has committed seven turnovers in the same time frame to record a plus-five margin.